Wednesday, June 13

1,983 blog posts about Antioch, and rising

As of June 12, 2007, there are more than 1,983 blog posts listed at Technorati.com about the news of the impending closure of Antioch College. Visit Technorati for more. Among the responses:

Lorna Lux writes:
i am very saddened to hear about the closing of antioch college. antioch is the only school of its kind, despite its problems, it is an amazing, unique, brilliant place. perhaps antioch cannot survive in this world dominated by big business. it was always a place that seemed to thrive on the brink of disaster. all i know is the most compassionate, dedicated, genius thinkers i've ever known either went there or taught there. i cannot imagine it, as a place, deserted, without people it is nothing, it is a death.
Maurya writes:
Antioch is a huge part of my identity. Before Antioch I was a moderate traditionalist verging on Republican. I was shy, quite, a loner. Antioch brought out all the best parts of me by pushing me into horrible uncomfortable discussions. I love it for that. Antioch never asked for a commitment and allowed me to see other cities and schools and always welcomed me back with open and craving arms.
wackywallflower says:
I'm so angry that I can't even describe how angry I am.
Well, I guess that solves my "transfer or leave of absence" dilemma. (how the fuck do you spell that word?)

I don't think I've said fuck enough times yet. FUCK.
drjimmy11 comments on metabrilliant's post at metafilter:

so many memories.

Like the part where Jeremy Piven threw that raging
party and got George Clinton to play.
k8t adds:
Visiting there in 1999ish was my first time using co-ed bathrooms... I was
also shocked at how openly people smoked pot in the dorms. No towels lining the
door or exhaling into a toilet paper tube with fabric softener sheets.


No comments: